Starting tonight, Nintendo Online will be launching. A new system update, 6.0.0 will be made available at 5 pm PT (8 pm ET). After the system update is available, the eShop will be undergoing maintenance for a three-hour window. Here is the official posted details regarding this notice:
Nintendo Switch system update version 6.0.0 has been scheduled for September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time. After this system update is released, Nintendo eShop will be under maintenance for a brief period of time. Nintendo eShop will not be accessible during the maintenance window below. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Maintenance Date and Time
September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday)
5pm to 8pm Pacific Time | 8pm to 11pm Eastern Time
After the maintenance is complete, Nintendo Switch Online memberships will be available for purchase. Nintendo Switch owners won’t automatically become members when the service starts, so they will need to purchase an Individual or Family Membership in order to avoid disruption of their online play in compatible games. Memberships can be purchased or redeemed through Nintendo eShop and Nintendo.com once the maintenance completes.
- Note that you must update your Nintendo Switch to system version 6.0.0 or latest version to access Nintendo eShop after the maintenance.
A few things can be taken from this. First, you will not be automatically enrolled in the trial. If you wish to redeem your seven-day trial, log on to the eShop once your system has been updated. If you are already sold on the service, you can use your funds on your Nintendo eShop account, including gold coins, to purchase the plan of your choice. It is recommended you go for the yearly plan instead of the lower plans in order to save the most money. However, if you are completely unsure, then the shorter terms plan may be right for you initially. Keep in mind, you will save considerably if you purchase the yearly plan instead of continuing to purchase the lower tier plans. If you have a household with multiple Switch consoles, the family plan is definitely the way to go. Make sure your household is set up on My Nintendo and each user is linked to their own account.
Now that your console is ready to go, let’s go over the features from this Online Service.
- Online Play – play the currently available games against people from around the world. Games like Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Mario Tennis Aces will require you to have purchased Nintendo Online. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and other upcoming multiplayer games will require this as well. Please note that free or free-to-play games will not require you to have purchased Nintendo Online. Games like Fortnite are available to play online without this membership.
- Nintendo Entertainment System games with new features – Enjoy a variety of games that include both offline play* and online multiplayer.
- Launch titles include Soccer, Super Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda, Ghosts’n Goblins, Excitebike, Tennis, Balloon Fight, Super Mario Bros. 3, Tecmo Bowl, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, Double Dragon, Gradius, Ice Hockey, Mario Bros., Dr. Mario, River City Ransom, Pro Wrestling, and Baseball.
- In October, three new titles will be made available. Those include Solomon’s Key, NES Open Tournament Golf, and Super Dodge Ball.
- In November, another three games will be added. These are Metroid, Mighty Bomb Jack, and Twin Bee.
- To close out December, Wario’s Woods, Ninja Gaiden, and Adventures of Lolo will be added to the library.
- *Games will be available for seven days offline while not connected to the Internet. To regain access, simply connect your device to the Internet. This is reported in the FAQ about Nintendo Online.
- Save Data Cloud backup – this feature will automatically back up your save data to the cloud*. They will occur automatically with no complicated settings or updates required.
- This is only a backup of your save, in other words, a duplicate copy of it. It is not transferring your save files off of your device.
- Since your data is linked to your Nintendo Account, you can access it by signing in on a different Nintendo Switch. You can easily resume playing where you left off.
- Please note that in the FAQ, if you terminate your Nintendo Online account, your saved backups will be immediately erased. Keep in mind that you will still retain your save data on your local device.
- *Some games will not support Cloud Saves. This includes multiplayer-heavy games which may include online rankings or other features. Games like Splatoon 2 and 1-2-Switch are not compatible with Cloud backups.
- Download the free smartphone companion app – this app is designed to enhance your experience by enabling voice chat with your friends as you play online. Keep in mind you do not need to be playing the game to talk to your friends. You can simply be logged into the app.
- Special Offers – this will include exclusive product and feature offers. This will change month-by-month so be sure to check them out.
- The first exclusive product offer is the Nintendo Entertainment System Joy Con Controllers that were shown off in the Nintendo Direct. These controllers are only compatible with the NES games included with the Online Service. They can be attached to your console to be charged just like other Joy Cons. Upon purchase for $59.99, shipments will begin in mid-December 2018. You can only purchase one set per Nintendo Account.
- Special offer to those that purchase the 12-month plans – those that purchased these plans will get exclusive gear in Splatoon 2. The items you can receive are the Online Jersey, and Online Squidkid V Shoes. You will get a download code for these items in early October.
Barry and Greg will be discussing their opinions on this service in the next podcast, scheduled for Monday, September 24. What are your thoughts on the service? Feel free to leave a comment below!