To end out the year, we were given another Indie World Showcase. Nintendo’s publishing and development partners from around the world presented details about 19 of the indie games coming to the Nintendo Switch with four of them being released immediately afterwards.
Here is the full list:
- Sea of Stars (arriving Holiday 2022) from Sabotage Studio: This prequel to The Messenger tells the story of two Children of the Solstice – a Lunar Monk and a Solar Blade Dancer. Fans of classic RPGs with modernized elements will want to check out this game’s moving story filled with twists and turns, its fluid and engaging turn-based combat and its freely traversable world. Plus, it features music by the renowned Yasunori Mitsuda, who composed music for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenoblade Chronicles 2! Sea of Stars launches on Nintendo Switch in holiday 2022.
- Aliisha – The Oblivion of Twin Goddesses (arriving Spring 2022) from UNDERSCORE: In this puzzle game, cooperation is key to safely navigating a deserted temple. Whether you undertake a solo outing or you explore the game as a two-player co-op journey with a friend, you’ll need twin sisters Aisha and Lisha to work together by exchanging clues and operating devices that can help you go deeper inside the temple. But be careful – the temple is filled with all sorts of menacing monsters and treacherous traps, some of which can trigger different endings. The heartfelt music, coupled with the emotional story, will complement your journey toward uncovering the secrets residing within.
- Endling – Extinction is Forever (arriving Spring 2022) from Herobeat Studios: As the last mother fox, you’ll need to keep your three cubs alive and lead them to safety in a world ravaged by humanity. In this game blending stealth, survival and adventure, you’ll make your way through devastated environments to reach the one place on Earth where humans can’t hurt you. In the end, how many of your cubs survive the perilous journey is up to you.
- Figment 2: Creed Valley (arriving Feb. 2022) from Bedtime Digital Games: Make your way through a rhythmic world set in the human mind in this musical puzzle-adventure game. Nightmares are spreading chaos everywhere in this sequel to the award-winning game Figment; it’s up to you to put an end to their fearsome schemes. Play solo or locally* with a friend as you wield your trusty sword in engaging combat, manipulate environments to solve compelling puzzles and have symphonic showdowns against some musically menacing bosses.
- OlliOlli World (arriving Feb. 8, 2022) from Roll7: Flip and flow through the vivid and vibrant world of Radlandia, meeting colorful characters as you grind, trick and air your way to discover the mystical skate gods on your quest for Gnarvana. Traverse a delightful and weird world as you take on missions, challenges and make new friends along the way.
- Afterlove EP (arriving Summer 2022) from Pikselnesia: From the creative director of What Comes After and Coffee Talk comes a stirring narrative about love, loss and lyricism. Set in Jakarta, Indonesia, Afterlove EP focuses on young musician Rama, who struggles to compose music after his girlfriend Cinta passes away. A mix tape of visual novel, rhythm game and narrative adventure, Afterlove EP challenges you to complete an EP of music to fulfill a promise made to Cinta. There are multiple endings based on the choices you make, as well as an original soundtrack from Indonesian band L’alphalpha and striking art direction from Soyatu. Start anew in Afterlove EP, launching on Nintendo Switch in summer 2022.
- Loco Motive (arriving Summer 2022) from Robust Games: Climb aboard the Reuss Express and investigate the suspicious death of Lady Unterwald in this single-player point-and-click comedy adventure. You’ll play as a straitlaced lawyer, an amateur detective and an undercover agent at different points in the story. Along the way, you’ll meet a fully voiced cast of quirky characters and solve head-scratching puzzles to prove your innocence. Figure out whodunnit … and what loco motive inspired them to murder in the first place.
- River City Girls 2 (arriving Summer 2022) from WayForward: WayForward is back with the sequel to the acclaimed beat-’em-up River City Girls. There’s trouble once again in River City, with higher stakes, meaner streets and even more over-the-top humor. Take control of one of six characters, including returning powerhouses Kyoko and Misako. River City Girls 2 features new moves, enemies, areas and items … not to mention branching paths, as well as a new soundtrack by the first game’s composer Megan McDuffee. Get the fists flying solo, or team up with a friend locally or online.
- Dungeon Munchies (available now) from maJAJa: If you’ve got the munchies, then this 2D side-scrolling action platformer should definitely satisfy your craving. With the help of the undead Necro-Chef Simmer, you’ll hunt down monsters, then cook and eat them! There are around 100 dishes that provide various abilities. Mix and match to get the right meal for your playstyle.
- Let’s Play! Oink Games (available now) from Oink Games: A collection of board games from developer Oink Games is coming to Nintendo Switch. Go on thrilling and risky treasure hunts in Deep Sea Adventure. Become the biggest investor in Startups. Catch the “sketchy” rogue and don’t get caught in A Fake Artist Goes to New York. Recover supplies with your fellow astronauts to survive in Moon Adventure. The games are designed to be easy to understand while capturing the feel of their original tabletop versions. You can play all the games locally* and online** with friends near and far!
- OMORI (arriving Spring 2022) from OMOCAT, LLC: Travel back and forth between two strange and vibrant worlds, each one brimming with colorful friends and foes, to uncover a forgotten past. You’ll experience an unconventional story and turn-based battle system, supplemented by warm illustrations from renowned artist OMOCAT, who also produced, wrote, directed and coded much of the game.
- Chicory: A Colorful Tale (available now) from Team Chicory: A painting adventure game about trying to be somebody, Chicory: A Colorful Tale takes place in a coloring book world where you can draw on anything. Use your painting powers to explore new places, solve puzzles, help your friends and change the world. Chicory, superstar artist and wielder of the Brush, is missing, and all the color in the land vanished with her. It’s up to you, Chicory’s number one fan, to pick up the Brush and fill in for her. It’s a big job, but you’re ready for it … probably!
- Timelie (available now) from Urnique Studio: Every second matters in Timelie, a stealth puzzle adventure that lets you control time like a media player. Perceive future events to plan your escape strategy from the past, sneak past enemies and manipulate time in this companionship journey featuring a mysterious cat and a little girl with precognitive powers. Control both the girl and the cat simultaneously, timing their movements and actions to complement each other, escape detection, distract enemies and ultimately escape the world they’re trapped in.
- Don’t Starve Together (arriving Spring 2022) from Klei Entertainment: Fight, farm, build and explore together in the standalone multiplayer expansion to the uncompromising wilderness survival game, Don’t Starve. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of odd creatures, hidden dangers and ancient secrets. Choose from over a dozen playable survivors, each with unique powers to help you unravel the mysteries of “The Constant.” Cooperate with your friends in a private game or find new friends online.
- There was also a montage of indie games coming soon to Switch, including Gerda: A Flame in Winter, GRIME, Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery, Parkasaurus, and Baby Storm.
Here is the full video of the presentation if you missed it:
What was your favorite announcement? Comment down below!
Dave’s first Nintendo platform was the GameCube when he was age 7; however, he was introduced to Nintendo through Duck Hunt on NES.